The Section of Neurology is one of the area's leading providers of comprehensive diagnostic and therapeutic programs for acute and chronic disorders of the central and peripheral nervous systems. Programs respond to the individual medical and psychological needs of children with conditions including:
- Epilepsy and other seizure disorders
- Tics and other movement disorders
- Neonatal neurology problems (neonatal seizures, perinatal asphyxia)
- Neurometabolic and neurogenetic diseases
- Migraine and other chronic headaches
- Spasticity in conditions such as cerebral palsy
- Muscular dystrophy, neuropathies, and other neuromuscular disorders
- Mental retardation, autism, attention deficit hyperactivity (ADHD) and other learning disabilities
- Neurological sleep disorders
The Section is constantly seeking ways to reduce the suffering of children. For example, one of the most convenient and innovative ways to diagnose epilepsy is through at-home, 24-hour EEG monitoring devices. This technique enables children to be monitored for seizures at home while sleeping, which may reduce the need for hospital visits.
Other services offered:
- Botox injections for spasticity
- Sleep disorder evaluation/sleep studies, including routine polysomnography and studies for narcolepsy
- New antiepileptic drugs and special diets for the treatment of epilepsy
- Vagal nerve stimulator therapy for epilepsy
- Special programs of the Section include the Epilepsy Center, a Neuromuscular Disorders Program, a Sleep Disorders Program, a PKU Program, and the Mitochondrial Disorders Center
For more information or to schedule an appointment, call (215) 427-5470.
Mitochondrial Disorders - St. Christopher's Neurology Section operates the Mitochondrial Disorders Lab, which is one of only five centers in the country equipped to analyze mitochondrial metabolism in mitochondria isolated from fresh muscle biopsy, as well as in frozen muscle and fibroblasts.
For more information, call (215) 427-8372.
Important Phone Numbers
PKU Clinic: (215) 427-5470
Epilepsy Center: (215) 427-5470
Mitochondrial Center: (215) 427-8372
LocationsSt. Chris Specialty Pediatrics at Abington
St. Chris Specialty Pediatrics at St. Luke's Hospital
St. Chris Specialty Pediatrics at The Reading Hospital
St. Chris Specialty Pediatrics at Washington Township
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children
Meet the Team
St. Christopher's Hospital for Children in Philadelphia has highly qualified experts who are specially trained to work with the individual and unique needs of infants and pediatric patients.
The team is led by Agustin Legido, MD, PhD, MBA, Chief, Section of Neurology.
PhysiciansKaren Carvalho, MD
H. Huntley Hardison, MD
Daphne Hasbani, MD, PhD
Divya Khurana, MD
Agustin Legido, MD, PhD, MBA
Joseph Melvin, DO, JD
Ignacio Valencia, MD